We’re a few days into the new year, and I’m off to a good start working on my goals for 2011. My starting point is my goal to lose 20 pounds.
As I figure it, this is the goal that supports most of the others. My goal to run at least two 5Ks will be greatly aided by dropping some of my extra weight. I want to enjoy our High Sierra Camps experience this summer, so I don’t want to be terribly out of shape for that trip. And as for blogging three times a week, working towards my weight loss goal gives me something to write about, particularly since it is so connected to my upcoming backpacking attempt.
I’m using SparkPeople, a free online healthy lifestyle program and website that has been getting a lot of publicity lately. I’ve been using the SparkPeople website and iPhone/iPad apps for the last few months. The food and activity tracking is very similar to that which I followed several years ago when I dropped about 40 pounds.
The Spark program has four stages, the first being the Fast Break stage. During the Fast Break, you set three simple, attainable goals for each day. My Fast Break goals are:
- Exercise for 10 minutes per day at least 5 times per week
- Drink 8 8oz cups of water each day
- Get 8 hours of sleep each day
So far, so good. I’m getting in my exercise and keeping up my water intake. Sleep is still an issue – It’s a work in progress.
If you’re feeling even the least bit like me and are aiming to lose a little, here are some resources that I have found helpful and/or inspirational:
- dailySpark – a healthy lifestyle blog from SparkPeople
- Peanut Butter Fingers – a blog dedicated to “Living a Life Fueled by Healthy Food and Fitness”
- Carrots ‘N’ Cake – “A Blog Devoted to a Healthy Balance” (Tina includes a section on her own weight loss journey)
What resources, blogs, etc. do you use to keep you motivated to live healthier?